Friday 16 January 2009

a run and a plan ... of sorts.

Another run this morning. Same route as Tuesday - ran a little more. Today was probably the first day I was able to walk down the front steps without wincing ;) I really feel it in my quads and whatever the muscle is called which runs the front length of your lower shin/ankle/top of your foot - if that makes sense.

Stretched for a bit longer this morning. Still quite sore, but possibly not as bad as Tuesday was. A much greater sense of satisfaction this morning than I had Wednesday morning after keeping it to a walk - but walking was a wise choice I believe.

The tri at Raby Bay is one of the gatorade series and they have a 'mates race' category - which is what we'll be entering. So it looks like a goer. I'm yet to submit my entry form. I'm terrified of the bike leg. I'm terrified of the bike in general - it's just so intimidating, so much 'stuff' needed. I don't trust my 6 year old k-mart-hasn't-been-ridden-in-a-very-long-time bike, but don't want to spend hundreds of dollars on a new one unless I know i'm going to like it and it be something I might continue doing for a while ...

And I'm scared of crashing.

My plan is to swim on Tuesday and Thursday mornings, spin Wednesday morning and run Monday and Friday mornings. Eventually I'll turn the spin on Wednesday into a real bike ride and try and get our for a second on the Saturday morning with Sunday being a rest day.

Today my plan is some housework - joy.

1 comment:

TA and the Gnome said...

Sorry that I haven't responded sooner - been crook. A few thoughts for you.

a. Don't do too much too soon (but I think that your leg muscles have already reminded you of that :-) ). You'll be able to ramp up much faster than you could when you were starting, but you still have to ramp into it. Raby Bay won't happen if you're damaged.

b. Ride the old bike lots. Not for long periods (yet). Just lots of times. Get the old feelings back so you're more comfortable and less worried about crashing. Whether you get a new bike before the race is between you and your bank account, but for your first race you don't need it. Plenty of time to trade up after you get hooked :-)

Take it easy and enjoy that "I'm running again" feeling!

Gnome