Tuesday 13 January 2009

wow

I honestly didn't expect to come here today and find any comments ... I didn't. I typed that entry yesterday purely for ME (and will continue to do so!). I was pleasantly surprised to log on today and find two, TWO, comments. Thanks guys. I feel the love!

I had a terrible sleep last night but the good news is I woke up and went out for a run. It was only for a 1/2 hour, I don't know the distance, I didn't run the whole way, but I knew I couldn't keep making excuses "I haven't had much sleep", "Lewis is still asleep" blah blah blah ... My plan had been to take Lewis out with me in the jogger, but he WAS still sleeping and I knew if I waited around for him to wake up I'd never go.

So I just went.

and

it. felt. good.

And I've felt good all day since. Just knowing that I got off my lazy butt and did it. Legs are sore, but I'll be out there again tomorrow. and the day after that and the day after that ...

So here's the thing - and seeing as though there seems to be some wise ones out there keeping an eye on me ... I'd like your advice.

A sprint (I think that's what they call it - a mini?) tri in 14 weeks time at Raby Bay ... 400m swim, 15k cycle, 4k run

do-able?

attainable?

My sister and 2 mutual friends of ours are keen.

I haven't ridden a real bike in, oh, 4 years. I was doing spin/rpm class 1 to 2 times a week at the gym way back when. Falling off a bike scares me. Trying to run after riding a bike 15k seems daunting to me. I have a crappy old kmart bike. I've never swum, like really swum, in open water before. At least there's no surf at raby bay.

excuses?

I'm thinking swimming twice a week, spin twice a week with a goal to get on a real bike soonish, and running twice a week with the occasional combination of run/swim run/cycle etc to and from the pool etc ...

This post is turning into a novel (hey, I AM back!) and reminiscent of my "should I or shouldn't I run a 10k" ...

1 comment:

miners said...

certainly doable. Perhaps the swim may be the biggest thing, assuming you're not used to the open water stuff. But believe me, it's much easier than you're likely anticipating.

I think 2 sessions of each is more than enough to get through the race comfortably. See if you can build up to a 5km non-stop run by the end of the training program, and perhaps 25-30km non-stop ride on the road as well.

I reckon you'll do well, and much better than you're probably thinking you can do too :)