Saturday 9 June 2007

cold!!

The last two days in Brisbane have probably been the coldest we've had all year. SO far we've not really had a winter ... well, I think winter is well and truely here.

Last night we had a Brisbane CR dinner to farewell Davo, who's moving to Tassie. It was a good night as usual. Leaving the restaurant at 10pm I was surprised at how cold it was outside and by the time I got to my car I was shivering uncontrollably. Tell you what, I cranked up the heater on the way home!!

The worst part was I'd agreed to meet Veg for a run at 6am the next morning. She was still back at the restaurant and I was sooooo tempted to text her and say I'd rather stay in bed.

When the alarm went off this morning at 5:30am I even hit the snooze, which I never normally do, and spent the next 5 minutes battling with myself to get out of bed.

Got up, got dressed and headed out to the car - my usual policy of no heater on in the car on the way to a morning run (because it makes it harder to get out of the car at my destination) went out the window!! :)

Standing at Southbank waiting got Veg & Nikki was torture. It was freezing. I wished that I had spent the $60 at the Nike outlet the day before on the nice pink running jacket I'd seen!!!

I don't think I felt my arms again until about 5k into the run! Bridge crossings this morning added a new dimension to running on a cold morning - the wind was freezing!

I understand now why people wear gloves on a cold morning.

Listen to me going on about the cold. I don't envy those of you in more colder areas ... Kathy!!! I think my inner slob would get the better of me and I'd be content to be fat and lazy and warm!

Anyway, running wise, we did 1 hour at about 6:30 pace. One k was 5:22 pace ... woo hoo!! Felt good too - coming up and over the story bridge and down to the kp cliffs. Veg & Nikki were running behind me and I decided just to push it down the nice gentle slope of the story bridge and see what happened. Shame all running can't be done on such a gradient!!

I've had a nasty cough all week - still left overs from my cold/sinus a couple of weeks back and hadn't run all week because it has been raining (hallelujah) here most of the week and I've had my sister visiting from Gladstone. So the legs are a little tired this morning. Doesn't help that I'm plonked on a chair studying for my exam on Tuesday. Speaking of which - I'd better get back to it.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

You poor thing, getting a taste for what us southerners have to put up with al winter!

I am sure it will be nice a toasty again soon.

Hopefully by the time I get there in a few weeks to visit brother and sister :-)

Kathy said...

Sarah, I have discovered cold weather gear. Bought woollen ear warmers the other day. Will try them out on Tuesday morning!

That sounds like a great run, even if you were freezing. Well done.

Celeste said...

I come from a hot climate - not a warm climate, a HOT climate! I am used to winters where the maximum temperatures dip to a freezing 25 degrees. The minimums can get down to 12 or 13 on a really cold night.

Makes for very unpleasant running during the summer, but has certainly not prepared me for sub 10 degree winters!!!! And worse to come!!!

Tesso said...

Oooh, pink running top sounds nice. Its a good investment Sarah. Especially a pink one :)

Good luck in the exam!!!

Peterhorse said...

ah yes, grasshopper, you have discovered the benefit of using buddy system as motivation. most people i know that train hard only get to the session becaye they are too embarrassed not too front their friends if they dogged it...hehe keep it up.
GCM looking good for you

Talicca said...

Hi Sarah! I've transplanted my blog to blogspot because MSN was peeving me :) http://talicca.blogspot.com

And as for the cold, I really think you need to splash out on that nice pink running jacket. Ooh, or check out DFO, I got a lovely light jacket from the Brooks outlet there for $40 (usually about $70) Just need some gloves now to keep my poor blue fingers warm and I'm all set for winter.

Flea said...

Hi Sarah, I found you on Celeste's blog and came over for a look.
What's this uni exam (like me), mature age student (like me), gyming (like me) and mother stuff (like me) about?

Nice to meet you, I enjoy reading your blog and will visit again.

Perth regards.