Saturday 23 June 2007

Saturday run

Ok, short version is I ran, it wasn't great. Long version follows ...

Met Nikki this morning for a 6k run around the river and cliffs. I was aiming to run most of the route at about a 6min/k pace. The first three (I think) ks were good, between 5:?? and 6:15. The body felt good, but I just couldn't get enough air in my lungs. Really frustrated me because other than the breathing I felt like I could have kept the pace up for much longer. Anyway, stopped to catch my breath and noticed a twinge/tightness in my left glute. So I stopped along riverside to stretch it out and kept running.

Stopped to walk up Gold Coast Hill then took off again looking forward to the gentle downhill slope of the story bridge. The pain in my glute was getting worse and combined with a nasty stitch I decided to walk at the end of the bridge down to the river/cliffs.

Took off to run again but the pain was quite sharp and by this point Nikki was getting a bit worried about me I think! The pain felt a bit like a pinch of the sciatic nerve. I'm telling myself that's what it was, hoping that's what it was. It was like a constant dull ache with a nice sharp pain on foot strike and a lesser pain on push off. We ran mostly to about the concrete steps down the cliffs, and I stopped to stretch for about the 3rd time in the run. The glute wasn't tight at all, still good flexibility, just hurt!

Walked a bit and then ran the last half K (more to avoid turning into an popsicle than anything else.

Finally finished the 6k, have no idea how long it took, don't think I want to know. Bit dismal really.

Felt slight discomfort in the glute for most of the day walking around the city, but seems to have subsided as I write tonight.

So ... not sure what the story was. I might try and squeeze in a run tomorrow around lunch time and see how it feels (we have a family BBQ with A's family at southbank and the lure of a quick jaunt around southbank and the river seems too good to pass up! I'm not sure if that'll go down well though, so we'll see).

But my overall impression from today is that I am going to seriously pay for my laziness over the last couple of weeks next weekend! ah well. I'm taking all the wonderful advice and I'm just going to run and have fun. As long as I beat my Brisbane 10k time I'll be happy. I'm looking forward to the atmosphere and meeting some more CRers (and spending a night away without the kids)

Anyway, A and I are heading out for dinner and a movie - going to see Blades of Glory - should be good for a laugh - so I'd better go and get ready.

4 comments:

Kathy said...

Sarah, I hope your glute is feeling a lot better now. It sounds like a tough run, and you did it. Well done.

How was the movie? The trailer looks hilarious.

Tesso said...

Oh no, I feel your (glute) pain. Hope a couple of days rest fix it. Does it hurt when you sit down?

Can't wait to hear what you think of the movie, the shorts for it make me laugh.

Talicca said...

Hey, hope you enjoyed the movie! It looked pretty darn funny in the previews.

How's that glute going? Yes, it did have me a bit worried, having things that hurt when you're running throws up a bit of a red flag for me. Fingers crossed its all good.

Did you manage to get in another run Sunday? And more importantly, did you remember to pick up your race pack from Southbank? :)

Peterhorse said...

stuff often hurts as you get that pre-race anxiety - i figure it's your body asking your mind if you really want to do something? hope it is ok now - i try to go with the "panadol rule", i/e. try it for 48 hours, if pain persists...etc
hope to see you on the weekend sarah, with smiles of goals being met :-)