Sunday 3 June 2007

personal record

ran this morning for ... wait for it .... 1hr 40min!!! Wowsers!!! :) Longest time ever spent running!! The distance was a touch under 13k - which is the longest distance I've ever run as well.

Another first - I got to experience going up "Gold Coast Hill" which Tesso tells me is named that because the PCRG runs it to toughen them up for the GCM. I've often run in the other direction (downhill) past and around it and now I know why!!! We only walked it today, but watching the runner in front of us struggle to run up it was enough for me! :)

Today's run certainly wasn't one of those where everything just clicked into place - but what can you expect when you don't run for a week. And even though I was running with Nikki, the last quarter of the run was tough going. But it feels good to be able to say I can run further than 10k, albeit slowly, when most people can't/won't even walk that far. Nikki was very good at giving me a bit of a nudge when I felt like walking, so that was great.

The new running pants were great - very comfortable. And no blisters this morning. The short hair was no drama either, which was good. I wore my hat as usual and it just stayed tucked under and behaved very well!

Tesso - I've been to that acupuncture place - it's in the shopping centre above woolworths right? A couple of chinese GPs who also do acupuncture. I went there when I was about 81/2 mths pregnant with Maeve to have a few treatments to try and get the ball rolling so she wasn't overdue. I remember thinking I hoped it worked because the doctors had the bedside manner of a wet fish and the bed was really uncomfortable (although I'm not sure any bed is comfortable when you're laying there looking like a beached whale!! )

anyway, hopefully the headaches I've been having will go away once my sinuses clear out - always seems to take a couple of weeks after I've been sick for that to happen.

8 comments:

TA and the Gnome said...

Wind back to January. One of your inspirations for your very first outdoor run was an instructor who was training up for a 12k run. You just ran 13! After coming that far already, anything (even Japan) is possible. :-)

Gnome

Tesso said...

Well done on the run!

Yep, that's the accupuncture place. The guy I see (Dr Louie) is very friendly, though struggles with this whole concept of running, he still can't understand why we do it :-)

Bennyr said...

Top work Sarah. It's always a buzz to go longer than you have gone before.

Cheers,
Ben

Peterhorse said...

like Dr Spok and the Starship Enterprise... daring to go where never before...get'd you in doesn't it...betcha you go more and more now.
those are great k's in prep for GC10. mixed with a few 'up tempo' short/speed sessions and you will nail that goal you set. well done Sarah.

Kathy said...

Well done Sarah. That's a great achievement. You must be really proud of your progress.

Celeste said...

Man you should have seen my eyes pop out of my head when I read that time!! One hour and 40 minutes!!!!! OMG!!! I remember your first run outside - remember that? You didn't think you'd make 5km!

Anonymous said...

You are a runner. Told you so. Well Done on 100 mins of running. HM here you come. :)

GraC said...

Sarah, that is top stuff!

You makes me ashamed that I've lets me running slip (he sez in his best popeye accent).

Great going - you are gonna blitz the Gold Coast!

Graham C