Friday 16 February 2007

Positive Thinking

So, this morning at the gym I had a bit of a lightbulb moment ...

It's really easy for me to get depressed and frustrated at myself and my progress. But I need to remember all the good things I have achieved since I started going to the gym.

  • When I first went to the gym, I was so lazy I would get bored of doing cardio after 20 minutes and most days would give up after about 25 minutes and stretch and go home. Now I can do an hour solid of cardio, love it and work really hard at it.
  • When I first started at the gym I couldn't run for 2 minutes non-stop without getting a stitch or feeling totally puffed. Today I ran at 9.5km/h for 20 MINUTES ... non-stop. And I only stopped becuase I had box class to go to - I had it in me to keep going. I was sooooooo happy about that!!! I've been looking at week5 of the C2 5k and wondering how on earth was I possibly going to run for 20 minutes ... well, I did it.
  • When I first started box calsses I could barely hit the speedball, now I can hit it as hard and as fast as anyone else.
  • Could hardly manage my starjumps and sprint combos, now I can do 10 sets only feeling buggered for the last 2!
  • I can leg press 170kg on the assisted weights and 140kg on the free weights
  • I can bench press 30kg
  • I can do a situps - it aint pretty and Drew has to stand on my feet - but I can do full range situps.
  • I can bicep curl 27.5 kg
  • things that Drew used to do with me which were really challenging, I'm finding much easier.
  • I know my aerobic fitness has increased so much - my recovery is better, my breathing is better.
  • My core is stronger - I can hold prone position for 3 times the length I was able to when I firts started at the gym.
  • I can 'switch on' my abs and feel that I'm doing it (hey, that must mean I have some abs now!!!)
  • I can get through a 1 hr spin class and feel invigorated and alive when it's finished, rather than feeling half dead and unable to walk straight!!!
  • My co-ordination has improved
  • My energy levels have improved

Anyway, you get the picture. So I just wanted today to remain positive. I am going to be good today, and the day after and the day after and the day after and the day after ...

Drew is away for a week, so no PT on Monday, but he's left me some instructions of things to do by myself.

Feeling positive ...

No comments: