Sunday 11 March 2007

31:23

My time for my first ever 5km run ... whooooo hooooo!!!!

My first km came in at 7:11 and the last at 6:36 ... go figure!! I didn't time the ones inbetween, but the first must have been one of the slowest ... The last km was HARD. I had enough left in the tank to put in a bit of a burst at the last 200m or so. I'm sure I was talking out loud to myself over that last km "you can do it" "come on, not far now" etc etc!!!

I was so happy at the end, I wanted to do the Rocky dance as I walked back to my car... I restrained myself!!! The dreaded stitch made an appearance at about the 4km mark :( I probably looked quite amusing running along with one hand digging into my RH side trying to get it to go away!

I'm going to try the same route again in a couple of weeks and see if I can take any time off today's run.

It made me happy because although at the moment I wouldn't be able to run a 10km distance, I know I have it in me if I stick with this running caper and build on my distances and speeds.

Been nagging at my husband about the running, and I think he's running out of excuses... he called his brother this afternoon and I think they're planning on starting the C25k program together this week sometime (Yes Lisa, you read right!!). So that'll be good.

Gnome - maybe I'll have a photo like that in about 18 mths time!! Wouldn't that be good (and that from the girl who said a couple of days ago that I'm never going to run a HM!! haha!! Ok, so maybe it won't be of us finishing a HM, perhaps a 10k race?!!)

I found I was quite hungry today. Stange in a way because I normally run a 3.5 to 4km run so today was only an extra km, and my HRM said a total of 444 cal, which is no more than I burn in a spin or box calss ... But by 11am I was starving and had a banana, and again at about 1am when I had a sandwich ... some days are just like that I suppose.

7 comments:

Celeste said...

Yay - great effort! You gave me the impression you were a slow runner - but 31 minutes is the time it takes me to run 4km. You rock!!

MorseyRuns said...

Hi, thanks for your comment on my blog and congratulations about the 5km - with a great finish. I love my heart rate monitor and once your hubby gets running you know he will want one or just want to borrow yours!

Anonymous said...

Well done, I would have done the dance!

My first 5Km running (with no walk breaks) was on a treadmill and I was so buggered I nearly fell off the end :-)

The more you run the more you will find you are hungry, it raises you metabolism for up to 24 hours afterwards. I often tell runners in my training group that if you run every day you can eat like a teenager again!

Your attitude is spot on and you'll be posting about that first 10Km in about 2 or 3 months I reckon, can't wait.

Ellie80 said...

Hey Sarah - just found your blog - that was a great run!! I can remember my first 5k hurting a LOT!!! And that is a pretty darn respectable time. Good luck moving forward - only a hop skip and a jump away from your first half marathon :)

Bayin said...

Hey thanks for stopping by my Blog. Wow 5K you are going strong I remember my first 5K run was absolutely on top of the moon. Ellie's right Half Marathon here we come.

Kathy said...

Congratulations Sarah. That's a great time. Isn't a wonderful feeling, being able to run 5 km?

Simlin said...

You'll be under 30mins in no time...and definately post questions on CR.