Thursday 8 March 2007

do you think

you can get better at running by reading about running??!!! Would be nice wouldn't it?! Oh, I don't mean a text book or anything ... I've just spent ages reading running blogs - amazing. Somme people amaze me - their level of dedication and fitness and fanaticism!!! I must try harder to leave comments - I just never know what to say - they're all so good and I'm so crap!

It's like a tangled web or something, one just leads to another and then another and another ...

speaking of text books, it's only 2nd week of semester and I'm behind already - better go do some of that reading.

No running or any exercise for that matter today - we had a small emergency at our house this morning when Max was running down the hallway (floorboards & bare feet) and slipped on a dress up he'd left lying around - feet went right up from under him and he hit the floor first with his face - mouth to be more precise. Lots of blood, lots of tears (from max & mummy!). Thankfully I was dressed (for the gym, but dressed nonetheless) and we raced out to the car and to the doctors. He has a massive fat lip (which he's a bit concerned about) and a trip to the dentist booked for Tuesday as I think he's knocked one of his front teeth back a bit, not as serious as I was first thinking. here's a pic:


Poor little fella! Anyway, so with the split lip went my plans for a weights and cardio workout at the gym ... tomorrow is another day...

oh, p.s - I just want to thank those who've left comments - means a lot to me and your advice is very welcomed and appreciated.

7 comments:

TA and the Gnome said...

If he can smile with an injury like that, he's got the makings of a real runner... :-) :-)

Gnome

Unknown said...

hi Sarah
yes, i think you can become a better runner by reading about it. It will give you inspiration when you see you are part of a wider community of like-minded souls. Everyone is at a different level and everyone has their own challenges. You can pick up lots of tips and support as you work towards becoming the runner you want to be. Don't think you're 'crap' for any reason. If you think it, then you are. You're a runner, each day getting stronger and fitter. Whether you run a 5k or a 10k or a HM or a Marathon is irrelevent as they all have their own challenges. Stay positive and stay focused.
GOOD LUCK.

Anonymous said...

Hi, thanks for your comment the other day.

Poor Max, I did something similar at his age, but my tooth went thru the bottom lip, I still have the scar. I am pretty sure my mum cried more than me too!

I hope you can become a better runner by reading about it, because I read ALOT about it :-)

I think the GC 10KM in an admirable goal, and it is a nice flat course and a great atmosphere, you'll love it. I did my first Half Mara up there last year. As Martin said, keep with it and you will amaze yourself with your progress. I only got serious in Jan '06.

Every journey starts with a step, see what happens in a year when you start talking about half marathons!

Celeste said...

Hi Sarah - welcome to the running world!! Thanks for visitng my blog!

I agree you can become a better runner by reading others blogs - that's how I started, and I still have a long way to go! But the comments and encouragement I have received from the online community have been amazing!!!

I have been thrilled to post my little milestones on my blog and have people who understand read it. My hubby and friends are mostly supportive but they don't really understand what a thrill it is to run 5km for the first time, or run a 7 minute/k. My goals are fairly modest (5km in 35 minutes) but I know I will make it!!

Simlin said...

Best thing about reading about running is learning about running and common mistakes injuries and etc to avoid...though some things, no matter how much you read trip you up from time to time like going out too fast at the start of a race/funrun.

L K said...

Why don't you post a photo of yourself in your running skirt!!!

Keep up the good work ... I wonder whether this will actually work.

Kathy said...

I love reading other people's blogs about running. I didn't realise that there was this whole community of people out there who are full of joy and achievement, who take the time to help you with supportive comments and advice, and who love to run. It's great and I am so enjoying being part of it.
Good luck with your running. I'm sure you sprinted to the doctor with Max much faster because you're so fit and healthy.