Wednesday 7 March 2007

Goals

So I was lurking on coolrunnings and a few people's blogs from there and it got me thinking about what I want to achieve with my running and fitness.

I feel like I've got as much mileage out of the euphoria of "hey, I can actually RUN" feeling and need to think about where I want to take it all and how I'm going to get there.

I guess my main goals as far as running goes is the B2B (august) and 10k run at the GCM (july?). Aside from those, and before either of them I'd like to increase my speed over 5k and participate in some kind of race/fun run to test that in a race scenario - perhaps one of the Sanctuary cove series?

On a day to day basis I would like to be able to run between 6 and 8ks each time I run, with maybe one longer run a week.

Realistically, I don't think I'll ever be running a HM or anything like it. It's certainly not a goal I'm going to set myself at this stage.

I want to be able to say "yeah, I'm a runner" and not feel like I'm embellishing the truth at all!!! hee hee!

Fitness wise - I'm setting myself a goal to be able to do 10 push ups and 20 sit ups and a prone hold for 1.5 min by the middle of April . 17.4.07. I think that takes me to about the end of my paid PT sessions. Then I'll have to think about if I should buy another block of them.

ABC kids is about finished, which means so is my internet time!

4 comments:

miners said...

Welcome to CR Sarah - and to the CR blogging community. You'll find there's heaps of great guys over here who will provide you with support and motivation :)

And for the record, I just want to note that I was first to make a remark about your "realistically I don't think I'll ever be running a HM". Let's just see what this blog is talking about in 12 months time ;)

TA and the Gnome said...

Forget the "I don't think I'll ever be running a HM", Miners. I was caught on the "I don't think I will ever own a Garmin"...

Just wait Sarah! :-) It sounds like you're hooked already, and it's amazing where 12 months can take you (look what just a few months has done to those measurements!).

The biggest thing a this stage is to
a) find someone to run with (and if they are faster than you, *Don't* let them drag you along. It's better to run long an slow than fast and collapse :-)
b) don't be afraid to have more rest days. Cutting back is not failure - sometimes it's very wise...

Anyhow, welcome to the CR family. You'll never look back.

Gnome

Simlin said...

Damn, Miner's beat me to it...I was going to say:
"I don't think I'll ever be running a HM or anything like it"
That won't last long...soon 10k just won't seem long enough, or challenging enough.

Lisa said...

Looks like we all have the same thought about the HM! I'm not sure when you ever really feel like you are a "real" runner, I still feel like a "wannabe" but I guess I have to face reality that if I ran a HM in May, I must actually be able to run! Slowly of course, but you don't cover 21kms by accident!. I'd only been running for about 12 months then - so I agree with the others, lets see where you are then!