Tuesday 15 May 2007

building sandcastles

This post isn't much to do with running at all really ... but it's all part of the bigger picture.

Normally I run on a Tuesday morning, which I had planned to do this morning as I wasn't going to be going to the gym either because I was meeting Kathy today (more on that later). But last night I fell asleep on my bed while I was doing some reading for uni (what can I say, the textbook was called "The Political Economy of the World Trading System") and as a result I didn't set my alarm or get my clothes out ready for my run - I have to do this otherwise I wake the whole house turning on lights etc.

So I didn't run this morning ...

Took the kids into southbank where we spent some time building sandcastles on the 'beach' (which was the absolue highlight of my day - both of them loved it and I think it set the tone for a really great day, hardly any fights or tantrums and just generally pleasant) before meeting Kathy - her blog is linked in the sidebar - she has amazed me with her weight loss of 40kg and her attitude and dedication to exercise and trying new things, so it was great to put a face to the blog and take a walk through southbank with her.

Came home and fluffed around doing not much really, washing and making dinner etc...

This evening I got on our elliptical trainer for 40 min, burned 350 cal. Now, this is something to be celebrated because we have had this trainer for about 3 years and I can count on my fingers the number of times I've used it. A uses it every morning - he's funny, he gets on it and goes full pelt for about 10 min each morning - but I've had some strange aversion to using it - stubbornness more than anything.

Did 11.3 k in 40 min. I'm going to try and jump on it most nights for 30 or 40 min - can't hurt the running at all and it might help me reach my goal of being under 70kg by the GCM.

So I'm sweaty and I stink, so I'm off to have a 2 min shower :)

Oh, and I just want to say how good I am that instead of going to the haircut I had booked for tomorrow, I've put it off and will be heading to the gym for my spin class. I deserve extra points for that ;)

2 comments:

Peterhorse said...

the elliptical sounds like a great option for cross training. nothing like the real thing of course ;-)

Anonymous said...

My brother and I refer to them as mincing machines. Just look at some of theh posers on it tomorrow when you go for your spin class.

You deserve a big gold star for cancelling your hair appointment to get all sweaty.