Monday 14 May 2007

Running in the Rain

So in the early hours of Sunday morning I woke to the sound of rain ... part of me was excited - I would finally get to experience running in the rain and see for myself what was so good about it - part of me just wanted to stay in bed nice and dry! :)

I got to southbank with the plan to meet the other girls at 5:45, and just as I got out of my car it started to come down quite heavily. It was still dark, it was quite a cool morning, I don't own a running/rain jacket. By the time I'd jogged the 20 meters from my car to the meeting place, I was cold and wet and starting to wonder what on earth could possibly be good about running in the rain. I was there first, so stood under some shelter and waited for the others and tried to warm up!

The downpour didn't last that long and by the time we set off the rain had eased to a light spit. I could handle that. In fact, I found it quite humid to run in those conditions. Part of it I think was the shirt I had on - the race shirt from the Brisbane Marathon festival - it's a beautiful BRIGHT yellow - you'd never miss it. But although it looks like the technical kind of fabric some of my other running gear is made from, it really doesn't breathe at all and is quite hot to run in.

Anyway, we'd planned to do at least 8k on Sunday. After about 20-25min we dropped Katy off at her car, then shortly after that we made a toilet stop, then shortly after that we ran into tankgirl from CR who was on her way to the MDC at southbank. So it was a bit of a stop start run and in the end only ran about 7k because I had to get home for mother's day celebrations. But it was still a good run - quite a social run. There were lots of people out and about, lots who looked like they were headed to southbank for the run, which was exciting. A bit of banter back and forth between us and a few other runners who we passed or passed us about the race shirts we were all wearing - there were a lot of them out there on Sunday morning! That was fun.

So then it was home for breakfast, which was croissants (a real treat for me as I never have these - don't think of the calories!) and Max gave me a bead necklace he'd made for me at kindy.

This morning I headed to the gym for another go at the aerobics class I did for the first time a couple of weeks ago. It's called "fat burner" but I've been disappointed at the number of calories burned (according to my HRM) for the class on both occasions.

Tomorrow I'm supposed to have my PT, but I'm meeting Kathy tomorrow morning at southbank!! Should be fun.

Rant for the Day

Tell me - when did it become acceptable to pay $3.?? for a lettuce???? I've just come home from grocery shopping, and granted, I did have to buy nappies and washing powder, but I am always amazed at how expensive our grocery bill is. Especially when we're trying to eat healthy, lots of fresh vegies and salads. It's just crazy. No wonder this nation has an obesity problem - it's probably cheaper to eat 3 meals a day from the Mcdonalds than it is to eat 3 healthy meals. And another thing that ticks me off big time about shopping is the very strategic placement of an assortment of kids bubbles, balls, toys and other crap at regular intervals down each isle. It sure doesn't make it easy to shop with kids.

Anyway ...

Here's a question for you - why does my remote locker device for my car not work when the car is parked out the front of our house? It works EVERYWHERE else, but WILL NOT lock or unlock out the front of the house ... how weird is that? It can't be the batteries because it works fine everywhere else, and we haven't even had the car for a year yet ... I can't figure it out!

2 comments:

Celeste said...

Sounds like you had a great run! I still have never run in the rain - it's something I would like to do one day.

I agree with the cost of fresh fruit and vegetables! At least now I don't live in the sticks anymore and I can actually BUY fresh stuff if I want to! I don't know about Maccas but we do probably go to restaurants more often than is sensible.... And that's even more expensive....

Tesso said...

I buy my fruit and veges every day or two. That way it SEEMS cheaper. Female logic at its best.

Nice going on the run on Sunday. I couldn't believe the number of people out there in the fun run in that downpour. I wasn't one of them, I was watching from the other side of the river :-)