Sunday 1 April 2007

10% and new shoes

I got new shoes yesterday. Asics GT 2120's ... I saw Steve (the footmac from CR) at the podiatry clinic and he said I had great feet for running & provided I increase my distances etc sensibly I should stay injury free. Yay! He said the sore knees and shins are most likely just a phase and if I can persevere through, that it should subside once my body adjusts to doing the kind of distance I want to be running. So good news, kind of, I suppose!

Took the new shoes out for a run this morning. I re-ran the 6k route I did last Sunday, but added 10% to the distance, so 6.6k - my time was 46:25 - so pretty consistant with the 45min 6k I ran last week with Lisa.

I really didn't want to get up this morning. I was tired after the party yesterday and it was a cool morning, and I just wanted to stay in bed. But I dragged my lazy butt out and once I was out the door I was happy. I have a confession to make ... sometimes I only get out of bed and run so I can get away from the kids and have a bit of 'me' time ... is that terrible?

Really tried hard to to think too much today while I was running. Normally I'm constantly thinking to myself, "only xxx further to go now, don't stop, keep going, you can do it, it's not that hard" blah blah blah. Certainly doesn't make the run any easier. So today tried just to zone out, had my iPod, and just concentrated on saying hi to all the runners I passed (and muttering "grumpy guts" as I passed them if they failed to respond - once I'd passed them of course!). Passed 3 girls running together in the opposite direction who were all wearing their teeny tiny little shorty shorts and midriff sporty tops - I didn't say hi to them - not fair really. I was in the wrong queue when God was handing out body shapes. :)

I ran all the way back over the Goodwill Bridge without stopping to gasp for air - despite the cyclist who parked his bike right in front of me ACROSS the pathway to stop and have a chat to some walkers :( . Now, don't get me wrong, I have a lot of admiration for cyclists, but it irks me when they don't obey the rules they expect everyone else to follow (on the road and on the bike/walkways).

I have another map (I promise it will be the last - until I discover a new running route!!). Did I say how much I'm loving Google Earth (incase you couldn't tell!)

Was a bit slack over the weekend so far tracking my food, so back to that today. Managed to be pretty good with the party food, avoiding lollies, party pies etc ... did have a piece of birthday cake - but you have to when your son in the birthday boy, right? We're off to the pet store to buy a water container for the Guinea Pig Max got from my mum for his birthday!!

5 comments:

Celeste said...

That's great with your consistent times - won't be long before that's too slow!!!

BTW running is ALWAYS "me time". That's what running is all about!!! If I wanted a team sport I'd play netball.

Simlin said...

aren't grandmothers so thoughtful ;)
I am not as disciplined as you at parties...

MorseyRuns said...

You did very well- I would have been into the fairy bread for sure! Nice run too- I love the maps that everyone makes with their runs- I hope one day you all get together and draw a picture!

Kathy said...

Great news from the podiatrist. It's good to know those feet were made for running!

Good on you for indulging in 'me' time. No need to feel guilty - the better you look after yourself the better mother you will be for your kids.

When I get to the stage that I can wear the skimpy crop top, I'm going to get my belly button pierced and a tattoo that peaks out over the top of my shorts. Well, I won't, but if I get to that stage I could if I wanted to!!

Sounds like the party was a roaring success. Good luck with the guinea pig. I hope it's not a girl!

Anonymous said...

No need to feel guilty about running. The me time helps make you a better mum. Keeps you sane and lets you be you for a little bit. I am missing the me time at the moment. What type of running skirt did you get and where did you get it. Skirts rock way better than shorts. :)