Monday 2 April 2007

crazy 10km thoughts

Soooooooo, the last week or so since the racing season started to kick into full gear, it's got me all ansty. My first organised race isn't until 1st of July - the 10km at the GCM. When I originally set that goal I thought it would take me that long to be able to get myself to a position where I could actually run 10km...

I know I've got the 5km in 2 weeks at Sanctuary Cove, but I know I can do that distance, and I know I can probably do it in a sub 30min time ... but I want to do a 10km. I want that feeling that I got when I ran my first ever 5k - that feeling of knowing I pushed myself just that little bit more than I thought I could and feeling like I could have danced the whole way back to my car despite the fact I'd just run further than I ever had in my life.

The only way I can get that again is to do a 10km race in the near future and exceed the current expectations I have of myself.

sooooooooooooo, the Brisbane Marathon is looming - 22nd of April. 3 weeks away. Is it foolish to think I might be able to run the 10km race at the Brisbane Marathon - not aiming for a particular time, definately not a sub 60min time, but hopefully a sub 1:15. And then if I did that my training could focus on bringing my speed up so that I could aim for a sub 60min at the GCM.

Is it pie in the sky? Am I biting off more than I should chew? Should I just plod away and get my distance up a couple more km before I consider it. At the moment I know I can run 7km (well, I did 6.6 on Sunday, I know I could do another .4 to round out to 7km) .... arghhh, what to do??

Any thoughts/feedback would be greatly appreciated and seriously considered.

PT this morning then did 1/2 hour of cardio -10 min jog on the treadmill at 8.5 and an interval workout on the cross trainer. 30 sec full on and 1 min recover, repetitions for 10 min with 5 min regualr speed either side. My legs felt like Jelly after. PT today was tough. Did bench presses and squats with weights followed by 2 repetitions of: cable row @30kg, 20x step ups on each leg lifting 6kg weights stright up above my head, followed by 2 repetitions of : 10sec prone hold on the fit ball, then staying in prone hold position, bringing alternate knee to the ball (10x each knee), back to 10 sec prone hold, followed by 10 girly push ups (because I'm weak and can't do real ones ... yet!). I was wasted. But it was good.

Drew also said he wants to see a food diary next week so he can see what I'm eating. Obviously the exercise is coming along perfectly, but the kilos aren't shifting - yes, I know weight isn't the only indicator, but you would think I'd be losing something - so it has to be a diet issue, and if I'm honest with myself, I know that I could eat better/wiser. So that's going to be the focus for the next couple of weeks.

RMR asked what kind of skirt I bought - it's an adidas one - has a great 3 stripe pattern right down the back of my butt!!! I got it at Rebel - simply because I was there, had only 1 child with me, who was sleeping in the pram, and it was all too easy! Probably could have picked one up cheaper at A Mart all sports or similar. It cost me $55 :0. But worth every cent to not have to worry about pulling shorts out of my crotch every 10metres or so!! The other skirt I have is a Nike one which was given to me by a fellow CR - very generous! She'd lost weight and didn't fit it anymore. They're both blue. When I get speedy fast I'll buy a hot pink one!!!

I need some bodyglide - do you think I can find any ANYWHERE? No. I've tried every sports shop I have some across and they look at me like I'm talking a foreign language. When I explain what it is they look at me even more strangely. *sigh* If anyone wants to volunteer to buy some for me, I'll send you the money and the postage ... I'm getting some rubbing from the hot pant short thingos under the skirt, and would love to try the bodyglide to see if it makes a difference.

Wow, this post is huge - if you made it all the way to the end then you deserve a medal!! Thanks for hanging in there and reading with me. I always really appreciate everyone's comments ...

5 comments:

Simlin said...

I use Sports-Shield purchased from...www.seemerun.com.au (I think)

Go for 10K...you know you want to.
:)

Ruune said...

You should definitely do the 10K. Three weeks is plenty of time to get your head around it and with the work you have been doing, you could probably make the whole 10K right now in a race situation.

Worst case scenario is that you don't quite manage to run all of it and have to take a walk break or two. If you aren't aiming for a particular time or setting your expectations too high, that is no drama.

Bennyr said...

Looks to me like you should go for the 10K, Sarah.

The first 7.5K will be covered by your training and the adrenaline will get you through the last 2.5K.

Just make sure you treat it as a slow training run. Don't get too excited and run fast early.

And take walk breaks if you need to - the slower your first attempt is, the bigger your PB will be at the Gold Coast.

Cheers,
Ben (aka Chunderbolt)

Celeste said...

Gosh - OF COURSE you should do the 10km!!! I mean if I can finish in a time of one hour 20 and walkers finish in front of me, then YOU most certainly can run the first 5 and walk the 2nd and still finish under one hour 15!!! An hour 10 is probably more realistic for you - because you seem to have the natural speed that I struggle with so badly. Even if you run/walk you should cover one k in 7 minutes fairly conservatively.

Unknown said...

Yay, I get a medal for reading this! You have turned into a running machine haven't you? You would love the training my hubby does. He takes a group of people from his work out every lunch time, and varies the training each day. I go along on Tuesdays if I'm not working as we do stairs, kickboxing, abs. I park at Kangaroo Point cliffs and walk across the bridge into Botanic Gardens to meet them, then do the training for an hour, then walk back to the car. Don't feel guilty about taking "me" time - I think every parent deserves it and it certainly doesn't hurt the kids.