Sunday 8 April 2007

Not so long run ...


Here's what this morning's run looked like ... 6.5k - a bit short of the 7 we planned but when I met Lisa for the run I suggested we run the opposite direction and cross the victoria bridge and run under the f'way and a loop of the botanical gardens, back over the goodwill bridge and up the forecourt of southbank - it's the latter half of the 10k route that I'll be running on the 22nd.
There's a few hills (not big ones, just little rises over bridges and through the gardens) but just minor undulations really make it much harder - I must have to do more hill work in my weekly runs. They're just so unpleasant!!!
Was actually a bit of a hard slog this run. I was looking forward to it, but I think a combination of only running once this week (and that one wasn't great either) and crappy diet just made the entire run a bit of a trial rather than enjoyable. If Lisa hadn't of met me at southbank I think I wouldn't have run - so it was great to have someone there to force me!
The great thing about this morning is that Lisa offered to run the 10k with me on the 22nd - so it'll be nice to have some company of someone more experienced than me, I won't be so nervous, and less likely to try and run harder than I should. Halfway through today's run I began to wonder what on earth I'd done signing myself up for the race - but I'm going to work really hard to change that attitude during this week. I know I can do it, I just have to think positively.
You know, I think when I don't know the distance I'm running it becomes a real mental battle for me. Also, when I don't know the course and don't know how much further until the home stretch, the negative thoughts are much more persistant and louder than the positive ones. Does that make sense. When I came home and mapped this run I realised it wasn't any further than what I've been running and should have managed it a lot better. But I think because I didn't know exactly how far it was, then it was a lot harder.
I really enjoy Lisa's company - it's nice to have someone to talk to through a run.
Gave the kids their easter eggs this morning - they got 2 each - a Humpty Dumpty (thanks Morsey!) and a small cadbury bunny. Maeve proceeded to mash hers into a million pieces and then cried about it!!! Max hasn't touched his. Oh to have his self control!!!!! It'll probably it around the house taunting me for weeks to come, and being the bad mother that I am I'll probably eat bits and pieces of it here and there and one day (in 2 mths time) he'll ask me where his easter eggs are ... :0
No, I must be good. I want to feel good for the run on the 22nd and I know to get the most out of it I'm going to have to behave myself food wise. I've decided to take Kathy's advice re the food diary - previously when I eat something I shouldn't I never wrote it down (if you don't write it down it has no calories right?!!), but I think Kathy was right in that when you do write it you realise exactly what you've eaten and you're more likely to get back on track instead of turning the situation into one great big binge.
Frustratingly everal people in the last week have told me they think I don't need to lose any weight, that I look good, 'healthy', blah blah blah ... it doesn't help me to hear things like that - then I just go make excuses for myself. I've put on about a kilo over the last couple of weeks and clothes that were begining to feel a little loose are now feeling a little tighter ... :( - but it's been a low exercise couple of weeks for me with a busy week last week leading up to Max's party and then with Easter this week and the gym closed for 4 days. So I'm making a promise to myself that it'll be game on for the next couple of weeks, really trying hard to do the best I can, and then if I don't see results, then I will allow myself the right to be frustrated and upset. But until I'm completely honest in my exercise and eating, I don't have that right.
As much as I love getting the old grey matter working again, I am really not enjoying this external study caper right now. We're half way through the semester and I feel like I haven't learnt a thing - I hate to think what the exam is going to be like - at least with essays I can bluff my way around them and BS my way through ... exams are a different story. But we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.
It's an absolutely beautiful day here, I love this time of year.
Better stop waffling and go play with the kids, do the dishes etc etc ...
ETA - %^$#@ blogger - no matter what I do I can not get it to format these paragraphs right ... sorry.

2 comments:

Kathy said...

Sarah, that looks like an interesting run. I enjoy seeing the maps of your runs. How do you do them?

It's great that you'll have a running partner for the 10k - it makes such a difference to have somebody to run with, doesn't it?

I got a Humpty Dumpty from the Easter Bunny this morning too. A long standing tradition that I've every intention of continuing to encourage my mother to keep! I hope Max and Maeve enjoy theirs as much as I'll enjoy mine. I have my "how to eat my easter egg and not feel guilty" strategy all worked out - I'll eat it a few pieces at a time.

Good luck with the study. I just don't have the self-discipline to study nowadays. Too many years at school in the past I think. I admire you for giving it a go.

Lisa said...

Isn't it frustrating when people start telling you don't need to lose weight, when you know you're not in a healthy weight range! Really, I think the average person has lost track of what a "healthy weight" looks like!
In the end, I stopped telling people how much more weight I wanted to lose - and that was just to get to the top of my healthy weight range!