Tuesday 24 April 2007

so what now???

RMR asked if I ran with a HRM - the answer is Yes. A question about this - I know HR is an individual thing and what works for one may not for another, but when running my HR is ALWAYS high - I'm talking in the 170 - 180 range, but mostly sitting around 172/175 ... I know that will improve as I get more used to running and as I get fitter, but I was surprised that it was so high. That's not really a question is it? More of a statement ... feel free to respond to my statement!!

So I'm planning on heading out for a run tomorrow morning.

I'm actually quite sore today - but I think that has more to do with the massage (read remedial, ouch that hurts, what the hell are you doing, sports massage as opposed to the dim lights, oil burner, relaxing massage!!) I had last night. I'd booked it about a week ago because I thought I'd pull up a bit sore after Sunday and would benefit from it ... turns out I probably didn't need it, but it was still enjoyable in an odd painful kind of way!

So I'm a bit sore today but nothing major.

anyway, back to running ... an easy 5k tomorrow and then I want to focus on getting my time down for the 10 at the GCM. I'm hoping that running in July, earlier in the day and on a flatter course will all contribute to this, but I like to think there's actually something I can do to have an effect on the outcome too.

I'd like to aim for something under 1:10, but closer to 1:05 - I'd like to know what my wonderful readers think (ooh, bit presumptuous?)? Realistic?

Feedback from some runners on CR seems to indicate that I just keep running as I have been and the improvements will come - there's no need for any specific speed work at this stage ?? So I should just keep running my 2 or 3 5k runs during the week and a long (well long for me - say 8 to 10k) run on the weekend? Should I push myself in the 5k runs, make one of them a kind of a time trial or tempo run? I'd like to be able to keep a 6:30 pace, I couldn't sustain that for the whole race on Sunday and would like to be able to by the time the CGM comes around. Am I setting myself up for a dismal failure?

The other option is to follow a structured program, like a Hal Higdon 10k here : http://www.halhigdon.com/10ktraining/10kinter.htm ... I'm not sure I would class myself as intermediate, but his beginner program would probably frustrate me.

I'm just feeling a little lost - I'm not sure how I should be going about this. If I should just be plodding through my usual runs, like I always have, then fine, I'll do that ... or if the above sounds ok, then I'll do that, or if there's something else I should be doing, I'll do that :) !! I'm willing to try anything, I just want to see some good results in July ...

Looks like I'm getting a new iPod for Mother's Day - YAY!!! The shuffle has finally died once and for all, so I'm thinking a Nano ...

6 comments:

Tesso said...

I'd go the Hal Higdon or something similar.

I know when I first started running years and years ago my times just didn't get any better and I couldn't work out why for the life of me. It was because all my training runs were done at the same speed, no variation what so all.

You know if you want to try other 10k runs there's a couple on in May at BRRC (http://www.brisbaneroadrunners.org/). They are pretty low key, not a bit crowd but a very diverse one when it comes to speed. Nice flattish and mostly shady course too. And they start early!

Simlin said...

Personally for me, I don't do speed work...no need there are plenty of other ways read fitness and weightloss that I can do to increase speed.
If you are going to stick to current regime I would increase the long run up to maybe 15k slowly and at an easy pace and increase atleast one of your weekly runs slowly to 7-10k, a good way to do this would be jump into a Hal-Higdon program at a comfortable level for you...I wouldn't go all the way back to the start of the beginner if you think that is too easy or you would get bored...just my 2cents worth as a 1 year veteran. :)

Ruune said...

I agree that you don't need to do speed work. I have only just started to incorporate one "speed" session per week after a year of running and it doesn't really count as speed work.

My experience is that increasing a long run has had the biggest impact on my work over time - running 12k might still feel hard, but it makes running 5K a heap easier.

TA and the Gnome said...

Sarah,

I liked the answers you got on CR - ie don't get too stressed about doing special things yet, because the bulk of your improvement at this stage will come in lengthening your long run. That doesn't mean that you have to get bored, though. As you lengthen the long run (*that's* the real winner in the programme), feel free to play around with the other runs.

If you feel strong one day, attack some hills (remember to recover - even walk - on the down hills), or as someone suggested, just muck around with picking it up to the next tree or whatever.

The main thing is to be patient. Rome (and your education, and your children, etc, etc) weren't built in a day. If you need regular feedback (and who amongst us doesn't), then mark out a roughly 3 to 5 k course near home and do a time trial once a month. Just remember, it's a bit like weighing yourself; best done once a month, not once a day :-)

You have done so well, but believe me, you ain't seen nuttin' yet! :-)

Gnome

p.s. with your HR as high as it is, make sure that you aren't training too fast. If you can't chat comfortably while you do your long run, then you're going too fast. Your body will get the best adaption from the long run (and hence the fastest improvement) if you HR stays in the right zone, and chatting is a good indication that it is there. Yes it seems counter-intuitive to get better by running slower, but believe me it works.

Kathy said...

I don't think I could cope with a remedial massage. I'm a total wimp when it comes to pain. I say "ouch!" in case something is going to hurt.

I'm glad you asked those questions. I'm getting a lot of valuable advice from your kind correspondents. :-)

Booked my flights to Qld last night. Will work out when I can get to Brisbane. Expect an email with the details soon.

Bennyr said...

I don't think you'll need any speedwork at this stage: there's plenty of time for getting out of breath later. Just keep doing the K's - the times will come down.

I think you've answered your own question in terms of a target time: 10 6:30 K's equals 65 minutes.

As for heartrate it's very different for different people, so as long as you are running at an easy pace, if 172 - 175 is the range then go with it, but the wise Gnome is worth listening to - try to run at a pace that allows you to chat as an indication.