Friday 27 April 2007

5km

this morning's effort - Av HR: 158, 5.2k in 32.54, which is about 6:30min ks ... for me that was pretty good! It doesn't feel right because in hindsight it wasn't that difficult (aside for some tightness and soreness in the quads - more about that later). I need a way of switching off my brain when I run. I have to fight so hard to keep the negative thoughts at bay and it really frustrates me.

I haven't decided what to do training wise - everyone has a different opinion and I guess it's a matter of finding what works for you. I'll probably procrastinate making any decisions (decision making is definitely not one of my strong points) and just keep plodding along for a while. My aim is to get this morning's pace feeling a little more comfortable and be able to sustain it for longer - as Benny pointed out, 6:30min ks is a 65 min 10k - I'd be stoked with that.

About 2/3 of the way through though I was really feeling it in my quads ... man, what a sook - I just don't get it - If I'd run a marathon on Sunday I could understand it, I ran a measly 10k with only 1 easy run since then.

When I got home I could barely get out of the car, and had to go down the back steps sideways this morning!!! Disgraceful!!

I also seem to have broken out in some kind of a rash all over my neck, shoulders, upper chest and upper back. It's red and itchy and is driving me slightly nuts.

No run tomorrow as we're off to Warwick for the day to watch my sister's partner play polocrosse. Would you believe that my mother is driving down in dad's ute so she can collect a ute full of horse manure (polocrosse is played on horses and they're having the polocrosse World Cup 2007 down there this weekend 800+ horses in one tiny town = a lot of manure)????? I don't even want to think about it. She's completely nuts!

7 comments:

Tesso said...

I always find it takes a few days to recover from a 10k race, so don't worry I think its normal ... hope so anyway!

I'll be at the Warwick Pentathrun in three weeks time and one of the races is at the equestrian park. Please tell your mum to make a few more trips :-)

Indecisive? You aren't a Libran are you?

Sarah said...

well, if Tesso says it's normal then I'm happy!!!

Not a Libran, a Virgo ... so not only am I indecisive, I'm also a perfectionist!! ;)

MorseyRuns said...

Did you stretch properly after the run? That is how I get niggles like that. From another Virgo.

TA and the Gnome said...

Big run = sore afterwards.

Big run = any distance you aren't used to running hard.

Don't worry. It does you good to be a sook for a few days! :-)

Gnome

Kathy said...

I'm chuckling at your "doesn't feel right .. wasn't that difficult". I so relate to that feeling. Maybe it's time for both of us to recognise that we are getting fitter. :-)

I'm wondering what your mother is going to do with all that manure. Has someone upset her lately? Is she likely to drop a load off in their driveway? Perhaps she's going to bag it and sell it. Maybe she'll ask you to look after it for her.

Ok, I'll stop now.

Andrew(ajh) said...

Sarah, thanks for your comments on my blog, I love it when someone new drops bye and says hello. Obviously (based on the fact I'm leaving a comment) - I've just been looking around your blog too. Seems like very similar goals to me, weight loss, general fitness, improving your running! With regard to your question about switching off your brain, I often have the same problem, my brain gets negative and says "stop and walk", or "you've gone too far". I find one good technique is to at that stage try and check your running form, and concentrate on whatever aspect of your form needs some work. For me, recently I've read a book called Chi Running, so when my brain gets negative I try and concentrate on some of it's form aspects. I find not only does this shut my negative brain up, but actually usually makes the running easier as the form improves.

Peterhorse said...

Sarah - stretching properly after all runs helps with recovery. but it is all normal to fele stiffness or tightness...just shouldn't have sharp pain as such = injury. the things you are experience=ing are all just adaptations of the body to this exercise regime...just stay with it and the imporment and results will keep coming...i have some thoughts on the HR aspects - big long article for you...if you email me separately, i'll send it to you if you like.
come on GCM - given teh pace you are training at, just over an hour is very realistic (maybe even just under???)