Monday 9 April 2007

8K!!!! Yay!

Today is my longest run to date - 8km!

Convinced A that he should take the kids to the fantastic playground at New Farm Park while I went for a run - I don't think he expected me to be gone for as long as I was.
7km out and back, starting behing the Powerhouse and then along the river at New Farm and the floating walkways to the Story Bridge and back to New Farm with a loop of New Farm Park to round it out to 8km.

When I got back to the park I really didn't feel much like running around the park, but I made myself. Did a bit of self talk (out loud!) that I could do it, I needed to prove it to myself blah blah blah. Anyway, took me 55min in the end all up. 2 short walking breaks when I stopped at drink fountains.

It was great to get some confidence back after my 2 not so good runs last week.

This week I'm planning my biggest running week ever. Starting today with the 8k, tomorrow a 5k, wed is PT and spin at the gym, Thurs 5k and weights, Fri Box and then on the weekend, at least 1 8k on the Sunday, possibly a run on the Sat depending how I feel. The easing off the week after for fresh legs for the 10k race.
I think I'm going to book a massage for the Monday after the race - my reward!! I haven't told my trainer at the gym that I'm doing the 10k yet ... will probably mention it on Wed during my PT - see what he has to say about it!
Oh, Kathy - I used Google Earth to do the maps - it's so easy - if I can figure it out, anyone cane. It's free to download and you just use the navigation tool in the r.h cnr of the screen to zoom in to the area you want. You can map a path and they also have a mearsuring tool which is how I measure the distance of my runs. I think you can download Google Earth here: (http://earth.google.com) - I wouldn't try it if you're on dial up though.
ETA - you know what I'm most excited about with regards to the 10k??? I get to have one of those cool racing pics up the top here instead of the dorky one that's there now!!! hee hee!!

4 comments:

Celeste said...

Wow Sarah - you are going ahead in leaps and bounds!!! Your first 8km and in a magnificent time too!!! You'll make 10km no worries at all. You put me to shame! Well done!

Bennyr said...

It's always great to go further than you've gone before, Sarah.

Good work. I'm looking forward to the race report from the 10K.

Cheers,
Ben

Kathy said...

Sounds like a great run Sarah. I'm glad you enjoyed it so much. The massage as a reward sounds like a great idea.

I'll have to try the mapping. Thanks for the info.

Look forward to seeing the cool racing pic.

Anonymous said...

Hi Sarah. If you want to try another cool Google Maps-powered website, check out http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/

You can calculate distances and even calories burnt (not sure how accurate it is though!). You have to click and drag a bit to get to Australia - but it is in there!