Saturday 14 April 2007

low confidence

This morning I had a terrible run. I know you gotta have the bad ones to appreciate the good ones, but it wasn't the run so much that got to me the most ... indulge me for a moment while I have a whinge.

This morning I went and ran with a group for the first time, I didn't know anyone, none of them were CRers (I don't think anyway - they weren't nice enough!). It was something I thought I might like to check out after seeing them running about a month and a half ago. So I went this morning because I'd said I would. They were supposed to be doing a 5k run, which fit into my program nicely.

anyway, got there and for anyone who knows brissie, they were doing loop of the cliffs at KP - along RT from the rotunda, down the fireman stairs at the story bridge end, and up the steps at the other end back to the rotunda. I'm not sure how far it was, not too far - probably about 1.5k

I hated every minute of it. Not only was it boring, the stairs were greulling. I was the slowest (which I can handle), by the third loop the trainer leading the group was pushing for PBs ... I felt ill. I stopped at the top of the first stairs and walked back to the rotunda.

I don't know if I'm more dissapointed in myself for not finishing, or dissapointed that the session wasn't what I thought it would be and I was so crap and slow at it. I think I must be hormonal or something because it's really got to me and left me feeling quite upset and shattered confidence wise.

The trainer told me they'd spent the first part of the year doing speed work and were now concentrating on distance and endurance ... isn't it supposed to be the other way 'round????? They spent so much time fluffing around it really annoyed me!

anyway, needless to say, I don't think I'll be going back (especially as they want $9 a pop for the privilege)

So I came home and am feeling quite unsure about next Sunday. What am I thinking thinking I can do 10k ... yeah yeah, I know, I can do it, blah blah blah, but I'm just feeling like a big sook at the moment.

I have an 8k run planned for the morning - hopefully will feel better about things after that.

Had Box class on Friday and one of the guys in the class commented on the effort I was putting into hitting one of the bags! I was just feeling a little frustrated and was taking my anger out on the bag!!! oops!

8 comments:

Celeste said...

You know I think sometimes our body chucks in a bad run to stop us from becoming complacent. 10km IS a long way. Yes, you will make it, but it is hard. Now, more experienced runners can run 10km in their sleep but for us beginners it's quite a milestone. Your body just wants you to appreciate that fact. You'll be fine.

Anonymous said...

Don't be down, you're a hot chick with the world at her feet. You'll do the 10k easy. I bet your husband appreciates that you wont be spending $9 for a run...

Unknown said...

Hmm, you've got a fan! Funny, I walked past those stairs this morning (read about it on my blog) watched the people running up and down (don't think it was you though) and thought I must try those one day! Don't beat yourself up - from my wise old age I've learnt to listen to my body - if it says don't run, don't run that fast, then I do what it tells me. I'm sure you'll be fine next Sunday - all the training you've been doing will just kick in.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sarah said...

Hi Leone! The comment is from my lovely husband!! I think mostly he was just happy to read about the $$$ he was going to save as a result of my bad run!!!

TA and the Gnome said...

You know what they say... "you have to kiss a few frogs before you find a prince". Running groups are no different. I watched a trainer last weekend leading a group, and he was so focussed on driving them hard that the people at the end of the group were always catching up and never got any support or instruction. Total waste of time.

Keep looking, because a supportive group is such a valuable part of training (and life :-) ). Look for a group that will stretch you our of your comfort zone, not one that will beat you senseless!

Enjoy the 10k next week, and keep smiling! :-)

Gnome

Anonymous said...

What a nice husband!
Take the 10k at your pace and you'll do just fine. You'll also feel pretty fantastic when you finish. I'm still grinning from my first 10k event and that was at least 6mnths ago now.

MorseyRuns said...

Great husband- nice to have a bit of support at home. I agree with you about $9 on a session you don't get anything out of is not good especially if it is boring as well.