Tuesday 17 April 2007

are you a runner?

The best part about today is that I have finished and submitted my assignment yesterday - so no more being chained to the laptop until it's done. The house is tidy and clean, it's my rest day from the gym, I've been out for my morning run, and it's a beautiful day! :)

Got marks back for an earlier assignment for my anthropology subject ... 93% - very noice.

Have decided we will probably head to southbank on Sunday early to see the marathoners and HMers off and cheer them as they do a lap or 2 before my race starts at 9am.

I have 2 sets of builders coming to give me quotes for various renos today - another thing that makes me very happy! Let's just hope we move from the quotes to the actual building ...

I ran into (literally) my back neighbour this morning - she was walking and I was just finishing up my run down the big hill near our house and a lap around the park for good measure. The look on her face when I stopped for a chat ... you know :
her: I didn't know you ran
me: yeah, I'm doing a 10k run on Sunday blah blah blah

... priceless!!!

I love it. Although, that said, I sometimes feel a little uncomfortable talking about running - I don't know why. I think it's because it's not something everyone does. I mean, to me, going to the gym isn't that impressive in a way - everyone and anyone can go to the gym. "going to the gym" doesn't mean you have to work hard - I've seen it - people who come in and sit on the bike for who knows how long and read a magazine, or take a leisurely stroll on the treadmill while watching TV ... WORK UP A SWEAT PEOPLE!

But running ... there's no escaping hard work in running. You gotta sweat, you gotta breathe hard (well I do anyway!!) and it's not something everyone does. You hear all sorts of excuses from people about why they can't run.

And also, to me, I still have trouble calling myself a runner. Runners are people who run every day of the week, who run for longer than an hour on a regular basis, runners are people who are a lot faster than me, fitter than me, thinner than me, runners are people who can run a marathon or HM without stopping. Runners are people who don't have the constant mental battle with themselves about if they should stop and walk, or even if they should get out of bed in the morning.

So sometimes I feel a little uncomfortable talking about my running to people who don't run. I don't want to appear like I'm talking myself up or anything, so I'll often talk down my accomplishments, like, "oh, I only run 5km" or "the most I've ever run is 10km (well, it will be on Sunday anyway!)" ... I feel like a bit of a fake ... does that make sense?

I know, I should get over it!

Well, my first builder is here ... let's hope the quotes don't break the bank too much.

11 comments:

MorseyRuns said...

Trust me you are a runner! Those people gas-bagging on the bikes crack me up too.

Peterhorse said...

You are a runner alright...becasue you run. you're "getting it" and it's fantastic to see. 1 or 2 of the assertions about what a runner is are true - yes some people run further or faster than other people, so what, only the fastest person in the world on a given day is the best runner, the rest are all just running. most runners struggle to get out of bed, don't enjoy all the sessions, get slack, takes days off, slow for a walk in a race. not every day is peachy.
but over time, you just find yourself setting, beating and enjoying new goals, no matter what they are.
talk it up baby! you deserve it

Tesso said...

I second ... make that third ... what they said. YOU ARE A RUNNER!!! And don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

After reading this post I have now added you to my bloglines. I think I'm going to have to keep an eye on you Missy!

See you on the weekend where you will be a runner and I will be a mere spectator.

Bennyr said...

If Tesso says you're a runner, you're a runner.

Runners are people who go for runs. That's you.

Cheers,
Ben

Kathy said...

Sarah, I loved reading this post.

I have had the same trouble calling myself a runner. Like you, I had this vision of runners as these lean, incredibly fit and dedicated people. I just didn't think runners came in my size or shape and I certainly didn't think they struggled with themselves to get out of bed or even to keep running once they'd started.

For a while I called myself a beginning runner, but I eventually realised I wasn't beginning any more. I agree with the others, you're definitely a runner!

Anonymous said...

Repeat after me " I am a RUNNER" continue repeating until you believe it.

Celeste said...

I still don't think of myself as a runner. Despite the encouragement from everyone else, I understand that slight vague faint nagging doubt that it CAN'T be true.

Have a fabulous run on Sunday - and then see what you think. I'd say you'll be calling yourself a runner soon enough!!!

Anonymous said...

Firstly, great result on your assignment .....

and secondlyrun hard and enjoy yourself - that's all that matters

Take care

Eat Em

TA and the Gnome said...

It took me a couple of years before I could call myself a runner without feeling like a bit of a fraud. One day I was running along and it suddenly dawned on me - I really was! I hope it doesn't take you quite a long :-)

Gnome

Simlin said...

I think half the battle of being a runner of any class and experience is fighting the urge to stop and walk, or to not get out of bed...I often don't talk much about my running to non-runners, I'd hate to reveal how much I actually do run for them to look at me inceduously with those "you must be lying, look at the size of you" eyes.

Anonymous said...

Of course you are a runner, if you can get from A to B quicker than if you are walking you are a runner.

We come in all shapes and sizes, all attitudes and many and varied achievements, no doubt at all you fit well into the mix :-)

Have a fantastic run on Sunday, stay chilled, soak up the atmosphere and have a blast.